Mahadalit leader Jitan Ram Manjhi was on Tuesday sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister after Nitish Kumar quit the post in the wake of a rout in the Lok Sabha elections.
Governor D Y Patil administered the oath of office and secrecy to Manjhi at a function at the Rajbhawan in Patna.
Nitish on Monday had picked Manjhi to be Bihar’s new chief minister, after JD(U) MLAs gave in to his insistence on stepping down, and authorised him to choose their leader.
Manjhi, 68, MLA from Maqdumpur in Gaya, was Nitish’s SC/ST welfare minister, who came in third behind the BJP and RJD candidates at the Gaya Lok Sabha seat on Friday. He was not among the half a dozen leaders who were widely expected to succeed Nitish after he resigned on Saturday, taking “moral responsibility” for the JD(U)’s poor showing in the Lok Sabha election.
The Mahadalit constituency is a creation of Nitish, who put all Scheduled Caste groups other than Paswans in this tent. Mahadalits account for 12 per cent votes, and are a core Nitish constituency. The choice of a Mahadalit, which Nitish made in consultation with JD(U) national president Sharad Yadav, sends out the politically powerful message of the transfer of power from an OBC — Nitish himself — to an SC.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016