The deputy propaganda secretary of the AIADMK has been removed from his post reportedly because he made “insensitive remarks” about the Chennai floods during a television interview.
Chief Minister and AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa issued a one-line statement on Saturday night saying Nanjil Sampath “is being relieved from the post of deputy propaganda secretary of AIADMK”.
Party sources said that Jayalalithaa took the decision in the wake of Sampath’s interview to a Tamil news channel. During the interview, which has gone viral on social media, Sampath was asked the logic behind the “extravagance” of the AIADMK’s general body meeting on December 31 when the city is yet to recover from the recent floods. Sampath reportedly answered “why should a wedding be cancelled if there is a death in the neighbour’s house”.
Sampath added that the argument that people were still suffering from the impact of the floods was not true. “Actually, all of them have recovered completely from the floods with the help of Amma,” he said.
Asked why Jayalalithaa did not meet the flood victims, when she had done so during other disasters such as the tsunami, Sampath claimed that people know her and they do not have any complaints about it.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Sources said that Sampath’s critical remarks on the BJP and other parties during the interview could also have led to his removal.