The deputy propaganda secretary of the AIADMK has been removed from his post reportedly because he made “insensitive remarks” about the Chennai floods during a television interview.
Chief Minister and AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa issued a one-line statement on Saturday night saying Nanjil Sampath “is being relieved from the post of deputy propaganda secretary of AIADMK”.
Party sources said that Jayalalithaa took the decision in the wake of Sampath’s interview to a Tamil news channel. During the interview, which has gone viral on social media, Sampath was asked the logic behind the “extravagance” of the AIADMK’s general body meeting on December 31 when the city is yet to recover from the recent floods. Sampath reportedly answered “why should a wedding be cancelled if there is a death in the neighbour’s house”.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Sampath added that the argument that people were still suffering from the impact of the floods was not true. “Actually, all of them have recovered completely from the floods with the help of Amma,” he said.
Asked why Jayalalithaa did not meet the flood victims, when she had done so during other disasters such as the tsunami, Sampath claimed that people know her and they do not have any complaints about it.
Sources said that Sampath’s critical remarks on the BJP and other parties during the interview could also have led to his removal.