In a sharp attack on the Election Commission, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Thursday deplored the restrictions imposed in calculation of poll expenses and declared her party would move the court challenging the norms.
Coming down heavily on the EC’s methodology of calculating expenses of election rallies, she disapproved of the debiting of expenses of rallies organised by the party to the candidate in the event of he or she being introduced from the dais.”It is nothing but mockery of democracy. Because of this rule, I cannot even introduce my party candidates. I cannot even mention the candidate’s name,” she said, addressing an election rally.
The yesteryear Tamil ceulluolid heroine and the sole “star” campaigner for AIADMK assailed arch rival DMK for accusing her party of ferrying people to her rallies, and asserted that “people throng my rallies on their own”.
She questioned the action of EC in including expenses of transport incurred by people coming to attend her rallies to candidates’ account and alleged that “it is surprising that EC is trying to regulate people coming to the AIADMK rallies”.
“Even to make a small announcement, there is a need to get the Election Commission approval. This is against democracy. Similarly, AIADMK candidate is absent due to EC rule. Not only that, you cannot mention candidate’s name and he is representing from this constituency,” Jayalalithaa said.
“That is, even if the party founder is on the stage along with the contesting candidate or his photograph during the campaign, the expenses incurred will be included under the candidate’s account. This is unjustifiable. This is a mockery of democracy. AIADMK will move the High Court challenging EC restrictions,” she said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Even if people come to my campaign on their own, how it will be justifiable to include their expenses in the candidate’s account?” she asked.