The Bharatiya Janata Party on Saturday snubbed senior leader Jaswant Singh by denying him a ticket in the Lok Sabha elections in Rajasthan and instead decided to field Col Sonaram Choudhary in Barmer.
The denial of party ticket to Singh, who is considered close to L K Advani, comes a day after the party patriarch was virtually forced to choose the Gandhinagar seat in Gujarat, against his wishes to contest from Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh.
There is speculation that Singh might contest as an independent but there was no confirmation. Choudhary had recently defected from the Congress.
Singh (76), currently a Lok Sabha member from Darjeeling, sought a ticket from Barmer, saying this was his last election and would like to contest it from his home.
The former Union Minister, who has held the portfolios of Finance, Defence and External Affairs during the NDA regime, has had his share of problems with the party ever since he wrote a book on his visit to Pakistan praising its founder-leader Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The book was banned in Gujarat following some adverse references to Sardar Patel and he was expelled from the party briefly after the controversy over the book.
Singh was also the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha from 2004 to 2009. He was also the NDA candidate for the Vice President’s post in 2012.
The changing power equations in Rajasthan, with Vasundhara Raje registering a thumping victory in the assembly elections, have apparently forced the party to deny him the ticket and give it to Choudhary, a Jat leader from the area.
The BJP declared three other seats in Rajasthan, where Manoj Rajoriya was given the party ticket from Karauli-Dholpur (SC) seat, Sanwarmal Jat from Ajmer, who will contest against Sachin Pilot of Congress and P P Choudhary from Pali Lok Sabha seat.