“The more fruits a tree bears, the lower hang its branches,” was all a crestfallen Jaswant Singh had to say as the party he had once founded — and from which he was unceremoniously expelled — swept the Lok Sabha polls.
As the curtains came down on his 47-year-old public life, Jaswant, still in disbelief over his loss by 87,461 votes, wondered how he would keep himself engaged. “Will you give me a job in your hotel?” he jokingly asked his younger son, Bhupendra Singh, during a quiet lunch with wife Sheetal Kanwar. “I have been working for 60 years, but God now wants me to stop. It is perhaps a blessing in disguise.”
As the contest grew closer and BJP candidate Col Sonaram Choudhary raced past him, Jaswant kept searching for one answer: “Where did we go wrong?” By early afternoon, Jaswant knew it was “no longer doable” as he trailed by over 70,000 votes. “I do not feel defeated, though the fact is, I am defeated,” he said.
It is almost heartbreaking for the family that canvassed to ensure “Daata” (as Jaswant is fondly called in the region) wins his last election. Sheetal pointed out, “He started off as an Independent and lost, and ended on the same note.”
Though this was his last innings, Jaswant is convinced he can never retire from politics. “I can never retire but yes, this is the end of my active political career. There will be no going back. I wish I had not ended on this note,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More