On his maiden visit to Jammu and Kashmir as Defence Minister, Arun Jaitley on Saturday discussed the security scenario in the state in separate meetings with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and top army officials.
Jaitley, who is accompanied by Army Chief General Bikram Singh, was briefed by local Army officers about the security situation along the Line of Control and the counter-insurgency operations in the hinterland.
“The Defence Minister visited Headquarters of Chinar Corps where he was given a comprehensive briefing on overall security situation in the Kashmir Valley including the counter-infiltration grid along the LoC and counter-terrorism grid in the hinterland,” a defence spokesman said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Later in the day, Omar called on the Defence Minister during which the two leaders discussed the prevailing security scenario in the state.
“Had a very productive meeting with Arun Jaitley in Srinagar this afternoon. Discussed matters related to both defence and finance with him,” Omar wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
After the meeting, an official spokesman said the two leaders discussed the current situation on the LoC during the hour-long meeting.
“Matters relating to preparedness of the state government to conduct upcoming Amarnath Yatra smoothly also came up for discussion,” he said.
The Chief Minister shared with Jaitley, who is also Union Finance Minister, certain financial matters relating to the development plan of Jammu and Kashmir, the spokesman said.
He said aspects regarding skill development initiatives taken by the state government also came up for discussion.
The Defence Minister is scheduled to visit forward areas along the Line of Control tomorrow and will interact with commanders and troops, the spokesman said.
He said Jaitley is also scheduled to attend special Unified Headquarters Meeting here tomorrow which will be attended by top officials of the civil administration, police, army and para-military forces.