On his maiden visit to Jammu and Kashmir as Defence Minister, Arun Jaitley on Saturday discussed the security scenario in the state in separate meetings with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and top army officials.
Jaitley, who is accompanied by Army Chief General Bikram Singh, was briefed by local Army officers about the security situation along the Line of Control and the counter-insurgency operations in the hinterland.
“The Defence Minister visited Headquarters of Chinar Corps where he was given a comprehensive briefing on overall security situation in the Kashmir Valley including the counter-infiltration grid along the LoC and counter-terrorism grid in the hinterland,” a defence spokesman said.
Later in the day, Omar called on the Defence Minister during which the two leaders discussed the prevailing security scenario in the state.
“Had a very productive meeting with Arun Jaitley in Srinagar this afternoon. Discussed matters related to both defence and finance with him,” Omar wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
After the meeting, an official spokesman said the two leaders discussed the current situation on the LoC during the hour-long meeting.
“Matters relating to preparedness of the state government to conduct upcoming Amarnath Yatra smoothly also came up for discussion,” he said.
The Chief Minister shared with Jaitley, who is also Union Finance Minister, certain financial matters relating to the development plan of Jammu and Kashmir, the spokesman said.
He said aspects regarding skill development initiatives taken by the state government also came up for discussion.
The Defence Minister is scheduled to visit forward areas along the Line of Control tomorrow and will interact with commanders and troops, the spokesman said.
He said Jaitley is also scheduled to attend special Unified Headquarters Meeting here tomorrow which will be attended by top officials of the civil administration, police, army and para-military forces.