The BJP has decided to field actor-turned-politician Smriti Irani against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi. The announcement was made late Monday night. The saffron party also decided to pitch former SP leader Ajay Aggarwal against Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli. Aggarwal is a practising Supreme Court lawyer who has appeared in many high-profile cases.
Aggarwal has been a party hopper and joined the BJP after the SP leadership denied him any lucrative position in the state after coming to power. Incidentally, Aggarwal had earlier joined the SP only in the run-up to the 2012 UP Assembly elections hoping for a ticket but in vain.
Aggarwal, however, has earned a name for himself for filing a PIL in Taj Heritage Corridor case against Mayawati. He also claims to have argued against Congress leadership in Bofors case. “I will win against Sonia Gandhi and the BJP will create a record in UP and win majority of seats,” Aggarwal told The Indian Express after the BJP made the announcement.
Aggarwal’s family hails from Shahjahanpur and is settled in Sambhal district but has been based in Delhi for his legal practice for over a decade now.
While Irani’s name was doing the rounds for Amethi, the party’s attempt to field a high profile candidate from Sonia’s seat failed in the wake of former MP chief minister Uma Bharti’s reluctance to leave Jhansi. While Bharti later revised her position saying that she was ready to contest against Sonia, her demand that she should be allowed to contest from Jhansi as well was rejected by the BJP central election committee Monday.
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
The BJP also announced to field A C Shanmugam from Vellore and K M Muriganantham from Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu. The BJP meeting also discussed party’s alliance with the TDP in Andhra Pradesh but held back any announcement in the wake of ongoing negotiations over seat-sharing in the state.
Sources said while the party’s Seemandhra unit has reconciled to the seat-sharing, the Telangana unit has been bargaining hard for equal seat-sharing with the TDP.
“Negotiations are on,” was the response of a top party leader after the meeting.