The battle for this Lok Sabha seat is witnessing a poster war even as Premchand Guddu (Congress) and Chintamani Malviya (BJP) take potshots at each other.
Huge hoardings, some of them bordering on defamatory, dominate the skyline of this temple town, a phenomenon not visible in Indore and Dewas, the two nearby towns that also vote on April 24.
Ujjain has remained a BJP bastion for more than two decades, except twice. Sitting Congress MP Premchand Guddu defeated seven-time BJP MP Satyanarayan Jatia in 2009 ending his streak of six consecutive wins. But electioneering has never been so lively here with the ruling BJP giving nightmares to Guddu, who has more enemies in his own party than among rivals.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Malviya resigned as university lecturer before taking the electoral plunge. A former RSS volunteer he faced an identity crisis when campaigning began but in the last few days hoardings hoardings with newspaper clippings regarding an old sexual harassment charge against him have surfaced across town.
“We know who is behind it but we can’t do much,’’ admits Prakash Chittoda, BJP in-charge of one of the eight assembly segments that fall within Ujjain (SC) constituency. He says the hoardings are defamatory and the party will approach the police for appropriate action.
“Wah doctor saab kya doctari hai aapki,’’ goes the punch line on one of the hoardings referring to Malviya’s doctorate and the sexual harassment case.
On the other hand the BJP has questioned Guddu’s educational qualifications. Guddu has responded with hoardings on the professional examination board scam calling it a gift of the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government. Other hoardings take potshots at Malviya for not sharing details of his four children while seeking a university job.
“We highlight national issues like Modi and his decisive leadership. Even committed Congress workers have expressed faith in Modi,’’ says BJP functionary Ramesh Sarda.