Sarabjit Singh Khalsa, son of Beant Singh, one of the two assassins of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, joined the Bahujan Samaj Party on Sunday.
Sarabjit, who had unsuccessfully contested Lok Sabha elections in 2007 from Bathinda on the SAD (Amritsar) ticket, joined the BSP in the presence of its Punjab unit president Parkash Singh Jandali and other leaders.
The BSP is likely to field Sarabjit as its candidate for upcoming Lok Sabha polls from Fatehgarh Sahib Reserve Constituency, party sources said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
When contacted, Sarabjit told PTI it is up to the BSP leadership to decide on the matter. Asked what prompted him to join the BSP, he said it is a party of Dalit community.
Sarabjit said he is fed up with “hardliner groups” like SAD (A) and had decided to join the BSP.
Sarabjit (34), a resident of Mohali, had also contested the Punjab Assembly polls from Bhadaur in 2007 on the SAD (A) ticket but was humbled.
Beant Singh and Satwant Singh, who were both bodyguards of Indira Gandhi, assassinated her on October 31, 1984. Beant Singh was immediately killed by the security guards.
Satwant Singh, was sentenced to death and hanged.