India’s first voter Shyam Saran Negi on Wednesday cast his vote at a polling booth at his native place here.
97-year-old Negi reached the polling booth at 6:55 am accompanied by his wife Hira Mani (92). Shyam Saran Negi became the first voter of the country when elections were held for the first time in the country on October 25, 1951 in Kinnaur. The polling was held in phases and other parts of the country went to polls in February 1952.
The State Election Commission had recently appointed him as its brand ambassador for the poll campaign in the tribal region.
Negi’s name was registered at serial no 123 in polling booth no 50 on Wednesday and incidentally the booth was set up in the school from where he had retired after serving for 23 years. He was the first person to caste his vote there, followed by his wife.
Kinnaur Deputy Commissioner DD Sharma welcomed Negi at the polling station and honoured him by presenting a cap and scarf when he came out of the polling booth. Kinnaur assembly segment falls in Mandi Lok Sabha seat and Negi has cast his vote in Lok Sabha for seventeenth time, including the Mandi Lok Sabha by-election held in June 2013.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Thanking the government for recognising him as the first voter, Negi appealed people to come out and cast their votes.