“I request that India should sponsor a resolution in the United Nations condemning the genocide in Sri Lanka and to hold to account all those responsible for the genocide and thereby render justice to Tamils in Sri Lanka,” the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister has said in the memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister.
Jayalalithaa also drew the attention of the Prime Minister to the retrieval of Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Straits ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, and restoration of traditional fishing rights of Tamil Nadu fishermen.
Briefing newspersons after meeting Modi, she said she stressed the need to expedite the formation of the supervisory committee for raising the water level of the Mullaperiyar Dam as ordered by the Supreme Court.
“There has to be a supervisory committee to oversee the raising of the water level. The committee should consist of three persons, one to be appointed by Tamil Nadu government, one to be appointed by Kerala government and one to be appointed by the Central Water Commission. We in Tamil Nadu have appointed our member, Kerala has also appointed its member, so I urged the Prime Minister to expedite the nomination of a member from the Central Water Commission so that before the southwest monsoon sets in in earnest, the water level can be raised to 142 feet,” she added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The memorandum also contained several other issues relating to grant of the Digital Addressable System license for the Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation, infrastructure specifically power, urban infrastructure and services, metro rail, transport and industrial infrastructure, modernisation of the police force and declaration of Tamil as an official language.