There was nothing casual or random, it seems, when Narendra Modi invoked the legacy of BJP stalwart Atal Bihari Vajpayee at his Jammu and Kashmir rally. While the face of every other party veteran and senior leader has disappeared from banners and hoardings across the country, it is only Vajpayee who remains and who the party has decided to reclaim.
The BJP will soon put up the new banners in Lucknow and other parts of UP, the state that claims Vajpayee as his own. With Vajpayee’s portrait only slightly bigger, the banner gives an impression of Modi as his inheritor and a promise to boost development. “Phir tez ho vikas ki raftaar, abki baar Modi sarkaar,” says the banner. And, with Modi fighting from one of the seats in UP, having Vajpayee alongside will not hurt, says one party leader.
“Launched in UP, we plan to put these banners across the country. Like our party, UP still sees Vajpayee as a great leader accepted by every one,” added a senior leader.
Many senior leaders believe that with Atal and Modi banners being launched to reclaim Vajpayee’s legacy as part of campaign strategy, Modi’s comment in Jammu, “The path shown by Vajpayee — humanity, democracy and Kashmiriyat — we will carry forward,” was no coincidence.
“It seems a fight to claim Vajpayee’s legacy is on,” says another leader referring to NCP chief and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar recent statement attacking Modi by saying that Vajapyee never asked votes for himself.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review