Dr Kamla Beniwal will be the second Mizoram Governor to exit the state without a formal farewell dinner as per protocol in less than a month upon being ousted by Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Like her predecessor Vakkom Purushothaman, Dr Kamla will be seen off by a Guard of Honour at Lengpui Airport on Friday afternoon as she leaves for her home-town of Jaipur in a domestic flight on the same day Manipur Governor V K Duggal will arrive to take charge.
Given the circumstances of their ousters, both Purushothaman and Dr Kamla are learnt to have been disinclined to partake of such farewell ceremonies traditionally reserved for outgoing Governors
While Purushothaman had said angrily “Governors cannot be treated like clerks,” Dr Kamla has refused to publicly comment on her being sacked Wednesday evening – she and her staff at Raj Bhavan in fact learned of the President’s decision from television news as various channels began airing the development a few minutes before 9 pm on Wednesday.
The official communication from the Union Home Ministry about her removal from the Governor’s post, which she assumed on July 9, reached the Raj Bhavan at 9.18 pm via fax.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In the 27 days she has spent as Mizoram Governor, Dr Kamla has rarely ventured outside the confines of her official residence at Treasury Square except for official visits to a milk-processing plant and a Sericulture farm the day after her arrival, and to an orphanage last week.
She had been scheduled to visit a tourist resort at Hmuifang tlang (mountain) on Thursday but it was cancelled due to the recent developments.
Dr Kamla, 87, has not been keeping well since her arrival and doctors from the Aizawl Civil Hospital have been paying her daily visits. She had also taken a 10-day leave from July 16th and gone home.
She is known to take frequent naps through the day due to her ill health.
Her daughter Arunima Choudhury has been by her side ever since she arrived in Mizoram. Other family members, including a sibling, a son and two other male relatives had arrived with her when she took charge but left later on.
With CM Lal Thanhawla on tour elsewhere, Home Minister R Lalzirliana will lead a small contingent of government functionaries to see her off at the airport, where her flight to Kolkata is expected to take-off at 3.50 pm.
She will stay overnight at Mizoram House in Kolkata’s Salt Lake area and leave for Jaipur on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Manipur Governor V K Duggal will arrive at Lengpui Airport from New Delhi (where is currently on an official trip) at 12.20 pm on Friday and sworn-in at Raj Bhavan’s Durbar Hall at 5 pm.
He is expected to stay till Sunday when he will leave for Imphal.
The Zoram Nationalist Party has applauded Dr Kamla’s sacking saying she has “wayward political thoughts” and has in the past soured relations between the Gujarat state government and the Raj Bhavan there, and that the “someone who has refused to leave a post when asked to and needed to be transferred is not likely to be a good leader.”
Other political parties in the state had not reacted to the developments at the time of filing this report.