Stepping up its agitation against the Raman Singh government, thousands of Congress workers gheraoed the Vidhan Sabha in Raipur. Led by PCC chief Bhupesh Baghel, the party held a six-day Kisan-Mazdoor Nyay Yatra through various cities which ended here on Monday.
The Congress yatra was to protest against the increasing corruption and failure of the BJP government to meet its poll promises including bonus to paddy farmers. The BJP had promised Rs 300 per quintal paddy bonus in its election manifesto but is dithering on the issue.
- Will contest against Raman Singh: Ajit Jogi
- Chhattisgarh: Congress cites AAP case, wants 11 BJP MLAs disqualified
- Chhattisgarh: Raman Singh govt wins 19-hr floor test
- Chhattisgarh: Congress brings no-trust motion against BJP govt in assembly
- Raman Singh government survives Cong’s no-trust vote
- PDS scam: No-trust motion against Raman Singh govt admitted
Police tried to prevent the Congress workers from reaching the assembly during which several leaders were injured.
Meanwhile in the assembly, Congress MLAs renewed their demand for Raman Singh’s resignation and the removal of Food Minister Punnu Lal Mohile over the PDS rice scam. “Chhattisgarh has never witnessed such incident. This government has no right to rule,” said Leader of Opposition T S Sinhadev. The Congress stalled proceeding and raised slogans both inside and outside the House. “This government has crossed all limits. They are cheating farmers and minting money in the name of PDS,” said Baghel.