Stepping up its agitation against the Raman Singh government, thousands of Congress workers gheraoed the Vidhan Sabha in Raipur. Led by PCC chief Bhupesh Baghel, the party held a six-day Kisan-Mazdoor Nyay Yatra through various cities which ended here on Monday.
The Congress yatra was to protest against the increasing corruption and failure of the BJP government to meet its poll promises including bonus to paddy farmers. The BJP had promised Rs 300 per quintal paddy bonus in its election manifesto but is dithering on the issue.
- Paradise Papers: Congress demands resignation of MoS Jayant Sinha, BJP MP R K Sinha
- Chhattisgarh 'sex CD' case: Congress demands SC-monitored SIT to probe incident
- Congress demands release of Chhattisgarh scribe, seeks resignation of minister over 'sex CD'
- Chhattisgarh: Ajit Jogi’s party announces 11 candidates for Assembly polls
- Paddy bonus for Chhattisgarh farmers
- PDS scam: No-trust motion against Raman Singh govt admitted
Police tried to prevent the Congress workers from reaching the assembly during which several leaders were injured.
Meanwhile in the assembly, Congress MLAs renewed their demand for Raman Singh’s resignation and the removal of Food Minister Punnu Lal Mohile over the PDS rice scam. “Chhattisgarh has never witnessed such incident. This government has no right to rule,” said Leader of Opposition T S Sinhadev. The Congress stalled proceeding and raised slogans both inside and outside the House. “This government has crossed all limits. They are cheating farmers and minting money in the name of PDS,” said Baghel.