BY: SANTOSHEE GULABKALI MISHRA
The Intelligence Bureau has issued a specific alert of a possible “human bomb” targeting a rally of BJP prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi.
According to sources, the IB alert says the attack may be on the lines of assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi by the LTTE in 1991. The “highly specific” input states that while Modi won’t be shot at, a suicide bomber may target him disguised as a supporter. The alert does not specify the gender of the likely bomber.
The agencies suspect any assassination attempt would be most likely in Modi’s own constituencies of Varanasi and Vadodara.
A red alert concerning a threat to Modi was first issued after he was declared BJP’s PM candidate. Officers in at least three agencies, including the National Investigation Agency (NIA), have been working on specific phone intercepts picked up early August 2013, which have now been shaped into a credible intelligence input.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
“The agencies are also working on messages picked up from social networking sites coinciding with poll announcements,” said a senior official.
Security agencies are tracking “floating” members of outfits like the Lashkar-e-Toiba and Indian Mujahideen (IM), and former cadres of SIMI. At least two cells are working on terrorists from splinter groups like the Hizbul Mujahideen.
The IB has issued inputs regarding the security protocol to several states, particularly Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra. “We are keeping a live channel open with these states,” confirmed a senior intelligence official.
While security protocols for some other candidates, including Rahul Gandhi and Arvind Kejriwal, are being worked out, the agencies have instructed at least two states to press in “maximum manpower” during Modi’s rallies.
The NIA also has provided leads picked up from interrogation of IM terrorist Yasin Bhatkal on a possible conspiracy to target Modi.