In a partial rollback, the Railways on Tuesday announced that the recent hike of 14.2 per cent in passenger fares will not apply to second class suburban journey upto 80 kms, a decision that will give relief to lakhs of travellers mainly in metro cities.
In a revised order, the Railways also said that the fare hike in the unreserved segment shall come into force from June 28 as against June 25 when the increase will be implemented otherwise. Railways also gave some relief to monthly pass holders by reverting to 15, instead of 30, the number of trips for which they will have to make payment for travelling unlimited times in a month.
The revision to the June 20 notification came hours after the MPs from ruling NDA belonging to Maharashtra met Railway Minister Sadananda Gowda and demanded a rollback in the hike. Cash-strapped railways had announced on June 20 an increase of 14.2 per cent in passenger fares and 6.5 per cent in freight rates, just three weeks before the presentation of the Rail Budget. The revised rates will come into effect from tomorrow.
“There shall be no increase in second class suburban ordinary fare upto 80 kms,” said a Railway notification issued today. This will give relief to lakhs of people travelling daily in metros like Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Delhi. As per the other amendment, the monthly season ticket (MST) holders will now have to make payment for 15 trips for travelling unlimited times during a month.
The Railways had earlier said that the pass holders will have to make payment for 30 days. However, the hike of 14.2 per cent in the fares will apply to the MST.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched