Hectic consultations were on both in BJP and RSS on Sunday on government formation as Prime Minister-to be Narendra Modi met party patriarch L K Advani in
an apparent bid to placate him.
Modi, who stayed put in Gujarat Bhavan here overnight, drove to Advani’s residence just a little after noon in the first formal meeting between the two after the party’s resounding victory in the elections.
On Saturday, the two met at a meeting of the BJP Parliamentary Board and greeted each other before the media. Nothing official was disclosed about today’s meeting but sources say that the role Advani could play in the new dispensation was discussed. Advani had reservations over Modi being made the Prime Ministerial face but had to come around at the intervention of RSS.
There has been speculation that Advani could be offered the post of Lok Sabha Speaker, a Constitutional office that could provide him a role independent of the government.
The RSS appeared to be playing a role behind the scenes in the government formation though for the record, there have been denials by its functionaries.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Gujarat Bhavan was the nerve centre of activities. A number of ministerial hopefuls including Karnataka leaders B S Yeddyurappa and Ananth Kumar called on Modi while party President Rajnath Singh held discussions with top leaders Arun Jaitley, Amit Shah and general secretary Ram Lal, an RSS pointsman in BJP.
BJP leaders M Venkaiah Naidu, Kalraj Mishra, Harsh Vardhan, Gopinath Munde and Rajiv Pratap Rudy met the RSS leaders here. LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan, whose party has won six seats in Bihar, called on Modi along with his wife and son Chirag, who has also been elected. Another ally Neiphiu Rio, who heads
Naga People’s Front (NPF) and has won the lone Lok Sabha seat in the state also met Modi.
The meetings came a day after the BJP Parliamentary Board, the highest decision-making body of the party, met here for the first time after the landslide victory in the Lok Sabha elections to decide issues related to government formation.
It was decided that Modi will be formally elected as the leader of the BJP Parliamentary Party at its meeting here on May 20 ahead of taking oath as the Prime