Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal on Monday said a judge will take over the commission appointed by the Union cabinet to probe the surveillance on a woman architect by Gujarat Police before the new government takes charge at the Centre.
“The judge heading the commission will be appointed before May 16,” Sibal said in response to a question at a press conference here.
The Union cabinet had cleared the appointment of the inquiry commission on December 26, 2013 but the government could not name a judge to head it because none of them reportedly agreed to head the panel.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The Gujarat government already has a commission under former High Court justice Sugnya Bhatt to probe the alleged snooping, exposed on sting tapes aired by newsportals Gulail and Cobrapost.
The tapes, said to be part of the evidence submitted by Ishrat encounter accused IPS officer G L Singhal to the CBI, contained conversations between him and former minister of state for home Amit Shah who purportedly ordered surveillance on the woman at the behest of a ‘saheb’.
Sibal also raked up alleged fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan to hit out at Narendra Modi saying the BJP’s PM nominee and Amit Shah were being “shielded” despite existence of “clinching” evidence to arrest them.
Sibal asked: who is shielding Modi and Shah when, as per lawyers like us, there is a clinching evidence to arrest them in the case of fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
The hard-hitting attack by Sibal came on the last day of campaigning for the single-phase polls in Gujarat to be held on April 30.
(With PTI inputs)