Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal on Monday said a judge will take over the commission appointed by the Union cabinet to probe the surveillance on a woman architect by Gujarat Police before the new government takes charge at the Centre.
“The judge heading the commission will be appointed before May 16,” Sibal said in response to a question at a press conference here.
The Union cabinet had cleared the appointment of the inquiry commission on December 26, 2013 but the government could not name a judge to head it because none of them reportedly agreed to head the panel.
The Gujarat government already has a commission under former High Court justice Sugnya Bhatt to probe the alleged snooping, exposed on sting tapes aired by newsportals Gulail and Cobrapost.
The tapes, said to be part of the evidence submitted by Ishrat encounter accused IPS officer G L Singhal to the CBI, contained conversations between him and former minister of state for home Amit Shah who purportedly ordered surveillance on the woman at the behest of a ‘saheb’.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sibal also raked up alleged fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan to hit out at Narendra Modi saying the BJP’s PM nominee and Amit Shah were being “shielded” despite existence of “clinching” evidence to arrest them.
Sibal asked: who is shielding Modi and Shah when, as per lawyers like us, there is a clinching evidence to arrest them in the case of fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
The hard-hitting attack by Sibal came on the last day of campaigning for the single-phase polls in Gujarat to be held on April 30.
(With PTI inputs)