Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi Thursday trained guns at BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi and dismissed his Gujarat model of development saying the same formula could not be applied to all states in the country.
“Some people talk about the Gujarat model. The BJP says it will apply the Gujarat model across the country. But states like Assam don’t need a Gujarat model,” he said at an election meeting here in the Tezpur constituency from where the party has fielded Bhupen Kumar Bora.
“Assam has developed with its own Assam model. Assam has achieved record rice production. The growth has gone up, again because of its own model that focuses particularly on women, minorities, Scheduled Castes, Schedules Tribes and OBC,” he said. Biswanath Chariali is about 250 km from Guwahati, and the Congress is trying to wrest Tezpur seat from the AGP.
Hailing Tarun Gogoi’s Congress government for taking the state’s growth rate up from 2 per cent to 13 per cent in over a decade, Rahul argued, “Even in Gujarat, it is not a particular model that has worked. It is the poor and women of Gujarat who are working hard… If you go to Gujarat and talk to tribals there, they will tell you their leaders don’t listen to them. Nobody listens to the poor in Gujarat. In the BJP, they don’t listen to the people. They think only one individual has the entire knowledge and wisdom. But Congress thinks it is the people’s wisdom that takes the country forward.”
Mocking the BJP’s “India Shining” campaign, he said “hot air balloon” burst in 2004, another did so in 2009 and the one sent up by the party this time would also deflate. “I’m sure, people will prick it again, and it will burst with a sound that will three times louder than before.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016