Distribution of saffron coloured bicycles to backward caste girl students by the Gujarat government was criticised by the Congress as “political propaganda”, while the ruling BJP called it a “safety measure” for better reflection at night.
Instead of the standard black colour, the BJP-led Gujarat government distributed orange (saffron) coloured bicycles to backward caste school girls under their ongoing scheme.
The revelation came when Congress MLA Arunsinh Rana asked a question related to a government scheme about bicycle distribution during the ongoing budget session in the Gujarat Assembly on Thursday.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Rana asked the government to give details about how many applications it received in Bharuch district during 2013-14 for bicycles to backward caste girl students.
Answering this question, Gujarat’s minister for social justice and empowerment Ramanlal Vora claimed that a total of 1,703 applications were received during that period.
Among these, 1,521 applications were approved and bicycles were given to all 1,521 girls, he said.
In his subsequent question, Rana asked the minister to give details about the colour of these bicycles.
In his reply, Vora said that all these bicycles were of orange or saffron colour instead of the standard black colour.
“Orange or saffron colour gives better reflection than black colour at night. Thus, when these girls ride these bicycles at night, other vehicles can detect their presence easily. To ensure their safety, we have given orange colour bicycles instead of black colour bicycles,” Vora replied.
Since the BJP is associated with the saffron colour, many Congress MLAs started shouting in the house, claiming that it is a “political propaganda”.