Distribution of saffron coloured bicycles to backward caste girl students by the Gujarat government was criticised by the Congress as “political propaganda”, while the ruling BJP called it a “safety measure” for better reflection at night.
Instead of the standard black colour, the BJP-led Gujarat government distributed orange (saffron) coloured bicycles to backward caste school girls under their ongoing scheme.
The revelation came when Congress MLA Arunsinh Rana asked a question related to a government scheme about bicycle distribution during the ongoing budget session in the Gujarat Assembly on Thursday.
Rana asked the government to give details about how many applications it received in Bharuch district during 2013-14 for bicycles to backward caste girl students.
Answering this question, Gujarat’s minister for social justice and empowerment Ramanlal Vora claimed that a total of 1,703 applications were received during that period.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Among these, 1,521 applications were approved and bicycles were given to all 1,521 girls, he said.
In his subsequent question, Rana asked the minister to give details about the colour of these bicycles.
In his reply, Vora said that all these bicycles were of orange or saffron colour instead of the standard black colour.
“Orange or saffron colour gives better reflection than black colour at night. Thus, when these girls ride these bicycles at night, other vehicles can detect their presence easily. To ensure their safety, we have given orange colour bicycles instead of black colour bicycles,” Vora replied.
Since the BJP is associated with the saffron colour, many Congress MLAs started shouting in the house, claiming that it is a “political propaganda”.