In another signal to politicians appointed governors by the previous UPA government, Gujarat governor Kamla Beniwal was transferred to Mizoram for the remainder of her term.
Beniwal had been involved in a long tussle with the Gujarat government then led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the appointment of Lokayukta in the state and the matter had gone to court. The 89-year-old Beniwal, whose tenure ends in November, also sat over legislations passed by the state Assembly, one of which provided for 50 per cent reservation for women in local bodies.
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva will discharge the functions of the governor of Gujarat alongside her duties for now. Alva’s term ends in a month.
Vakkom Purushothaman, the current governor of Mizoram, has been transferred to Nagaland. He will continue to hold additional charge as governor of Tripura.
The Modi government at the Centre had earlier sent feelers to all governors appointed by the UPA regime that they should step down to make way for new appointments. While former bureaucrats like M K Narayanan (West Bengal), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland), B L Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh) and B V Wanchoo (Goa) have already stepped down, H R Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar (Tripura) were allowed to stay in the post till their tenure ended last month.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The political appointees to the post though have dug in their heels. Those who have refused to toe the Centre’s line include K Sankaranarayanan (Maharashtra), Sheila Dikshit (Kerala), Jaganath Pahadia (Haryana) and Shivraj Patil (Punjab).