The capital’s political class Tuesday set aside differences and drove to the BJP headquarters to pay their last respects to Gopinath Munde.
While Sonia Gandhi wrote a letter to Munde’s wife sharing her grief, Rahul Gandhi drove to the BJP office to pay his last respects. “I understand the pain is unbearable for you and your family and mere words of solace are not enough. There are some incidents in life on which one has no control and one has to bear with them… Hailing from a humble background, Munde made a mark in social and political life by the dint of his hard work, polite behaviour and commitment towards the backward classes, which is a source of inspiration for all,” Sonia wrote.
PM Narendra Modi, who paid his last respects, tweeted, “Hailing from backward sections of society, he rose to great heights and tirelessly served people,” and described “his friend and colleague” Munde’s death as a “major loss for the nation & the Govt”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Apart from the BJP’s L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Rajnath Singh, the RSS’s Mohan Bhagwat, Bhaiyyaji Joshi and Suresh Soni, and the VHP’s Ashok Singhal too went to the BJP headquarters.
Accompanied by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat, Rahul made his way through the crowd of BJP workers to pay his last respects. He spoke for a few minutes to former BJP chief Venkaiah Naidu, BJP general secretaries J P Nadda and Ramlal. Munde’s rival in Maharashtra Sharad Pawar too was at the BJP headquarters.
President Pranab Mukheree sent a wreath. Vice-president Hamid Ansari dropped in to pay his last respects, and a wreath was placed on behalf of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Union ministers Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Ravi Shankar Prasad, A Gajapathi Raju and Ananth Kumar were at the party headquarters. Venkaiah Naidu and Smriti Irani stood near the body. Ram Vilas Paswan, Harsimarat Kaur Badal and Sharad Yadav offered their condolences to Munde’s daughter Pankaja.
Rajnath Singh will attend Munde’s funeral in Beed tomorrow, accompanied by Advani and Nitin Gadkari. Others likely to travel with them include Irani, Ananth Kumar and party general secretary Ramlal.