The capital’s political class Tuesday set aside differences and drove to the BJP headquarters to pay their last respects to Gopinath Munde.
While Sonia Gandhi wrote a letter to Munde’s wife sharing her grief, Rahul Gandhi drove to the BJP office to pay his last respects. “I understand the pain is unbearable for you and your family and mere words of solace are not enough. There are some incidents in life on which one has no control and one has to bear with them… Hailing from a humble background, Munde made a mark in social and political life by the dint of his hard work, polite behaviour and commitment towards the backward classes, which is a source of inspiration for all,” Sonia wrote.
PM Narendra Modi, who paid his last respects, tweeted, “Hailing from backward sections of society, he rose to great heights and tirelessly served people,” and described “his friend and colleague” Munde’s death as a “major loss for the nation & the Govt”.
Apart from the BJP’s L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Rajnath Singh, the RSS’s Mohan Bhagwat, Bhaiyyaji Joshi and Suresh Soni, and the VHP’s Ashok Singhal too went to the BJP headquarters.
Accompanied by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat, Rahul made his way through the crowd of BJP workers to pay his last respects. He spoke for a few minutes to former BJP chief Venkaiah Naidu, BJP general secretaries J P Nadda and Ramlal. Munde’s rival in Maharashtra Sharad Pawar too was at the BJP headquarters.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
President Pranab Mukheree sent a wreath. Vice-president Hamid Ansari dropped in to pay his last respects, and a wreath was placed on behalf of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Union ministers Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Ravi Shankar Prasad, A Gajapathi Raju and Ananth Kumar were at the party headquarters. Venkaiah Naidu and Smriti Irani stood near the body. Ram Vilas Paswan, Harsimarat Kaur Badal and Sharad Yadav offered their condolences to Munde’s daughter Pankaja.
Rajnath Singh will attend Munde’s funeral in Beed tomorrow, accompanied by Advani and Nitin Gadkari. Others likely to travel with them include Irani, Ananth Kumar and party general secretary Ramlal.