Law Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday said government would abide by Supreme Court’s decision commuting death penalty of convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, but took a jibe at BJP for not uttering a word on the issue while it had bayed for Afzal Guru’s blood.
“They (BJP) were baying for the blood of Afzal Guru and I am surprised that when it comes to other assassins, they don’t even utter a word. I think BJP has something to answer to,” he told reporters, questioning the silence of the opposition party over the issue.
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam had on Tuesday commuted the death sentence of Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan on the ground of a delay of nearly 11 years in deciding their mercy petitions despite the Centre’s plea against any relief to them.
“Those who assassinated Rajiv Gandhi should not be given any relief; that is the position of the Attorney General. Now the court has rendered a decision. We must naturally abide by it. We may or may not agree with it but we must abide by it,” Sibal said.
Guru, who was convicted in Parliament attack case and awarded death sentence, was hanged last year. BJP had raised the issue of “delay” in his hanging, accusing the Centre of being “soft on terror”.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More