Amid the uncertainty on whether its leader in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge would get the Leader of the Opposition post, the Congress on Thursday said it will be undemocratic if the government ignores the single largest opposition party in the appointment of Lokpal and other constitutional posts where the LoP is a member of the selection committee.
“If the government ignores the Congress party, which has secured more than 19 per cent of votes, one per cent more than what the BJP had secured in last election, while deciding the post of Lokpal it would not only be unfortunate but also undemocratic,” AICC Communication Department chairman Ajay Maken said.
The Congress has been insisting that its leader in Lok Sabha should be accorded the LoP status, which would entitle him to sit on panels which select the Central Vigilance Commissioner, head of the National Human Rights Commission and the Lokpal.
There are indications that Kharge may not be recognised as the Leader of the Opposition as the Congress does not have the requisite numbers to claim the post.
The Congress, on the other hand, has been claiming that the Salary and Allowances of Leaders of Opposition in Parliament Act does not say that the strength of the main opposition party should be equivalent to the quorum of the house or in other words 10 per cent of the total seats in the Lower House.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Maken said he was unaware whether Congress president Sonia Gandhi has written to the Speaker seeking LoP post for Kharge in Lok Sabha.