- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
Giriraj’s anticipatory bail rejected by Deogarh court
The anticipatory bail application of Bihar BJP leader Giriraj Singh, who is facing charges for his alleged hate speeches, was rejected on Saturday by a court here.
Deogarh District & Sessions Court (first) Judge, Pankaj Srivastav rejected the petition a week after he issued arrest warrants against Singh. Earlier, a Bokaro court had also rejected Singh’s anticipatory bail on similar charges but Jharkhand High Court quashed it on Friday.
The warrants were issued after an FIR was filed against the BJP leader for his alleged inflammatory speech on April 18 saying those who opposed BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi would have to find a place in Pakistan.
On April 25, Singh got an anticipatory bail from Patna District and Sessions Judge Birendra Kumar on an FIR on the same charge.
Singh had repeated the alleged hate speech at the Patna airport on April 20 and a FIR was issued by Patna administration at the instance of the Election Commission.