WITH the BJP registering a thumping win, four parties — the CPM, CPI, NCP and BSP — could face the risk of losing their status as national parties, bringing down the number of national parties from six to just two. The other two national parties are the BJP and Congress.
According to the rules, a political party is eligible to be a national party if it secures at least six per cent of the total votes polled in four states and wins four seats in the Lok Sabha election or if it wins at least two per cent of the total seats in the Lok Sabha (11) from not less than three states.
These four national parties, however, do not fulfill any of these two criteria this time.
However, one more criteria to be a national political party — being recognised as a state party in at least four states — could come to their rescue. Sources in EC said if party fails to fulfil conditions of being a national party, it is given an opportunity to make a representation as to why the status should not be withdrawn, following which a final decision is taken.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review