In yet another blow to Congress in Odisha, former Assembly Speaker Sarat Kar and OPCC secretary Alekh Choudhury on Saturday joined ruling Biju Janata Dal.
Kar, who joined the party in the presence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, had resigned from Congress on March 12 accusing the party leadership of neglecting and ignoring senior leaders in the organisation.
Kar, who was the Speaker of Odisha Assembly, had previously quit the ruling Biju Janata Dal on April 3, 2004 after being denied party ticket for the Assembly polls from Mahanga in Cuttack district.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“It is homecoming for me. I am not interested in contesting polls,” Kar told reporters while Patnaik said his return to BJD will strengthen the party.
Similarly, Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee secretary Alekh Choudhury of Ganjam district also joined the BJD ahead of the polls. He too made similar allegation of negligence by the Congress state leadership towards the real party workers.
Meanwhile, Congress’s youth leader and grandson of former Chief Minister Nandini Satpathy, Suparno Satpathy said he quit the party and joined Ama Odisha Party (AOP).
Also, BJD leader Prasanna Patnaik and his wife Nalini Patnaik have returned to BJP. Patnaik was the first MLA of BJP in Odisha, elected from Kamakshya Nagar Assembly constituency in 1985.
Senior BJP leader B B Harichandan welcomed the former Kamakshya Nagar MLA. “Patnaik’s return will strengthen BJP in Dhenkanal district,” Harichandan said.