Amid outrage over his comment that Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi visits Dalits’ homes for “honeymoon and picnic”, the Lucknow police on Saturday registered an FIR against yoga guru Ramdev.
Meanwhile, Ramdev expressed regret to the Dalit community. “The statement I made has been misrepresented. The term honeymoon period is over is commonly used in political language. I tried to use it in that sense… I had no intention to insult Rahul or the Dalit community… I express regret if the use of that term has hurt the feelings of any community, especially Dalit community,” PTI quoted him as saying in Vadodara.
Addressing a programme in Lucknow on Friday, Ramdev had said, “Rahul goes to Dalits’ houses for honeymoon and picnic. Had he married a Dalit girl, then his luck could have clicked and he would have become the prime minister.”
The FIR was filed on the complaint of Sub-Inspector S N Pandey. Ramdev has been booked under Section 171(G) of the IPC (false statement in connection with an election). A complaint by the Congress was incorporated in the same FIR. Police officials said more charges may be added after investigations.
Talking cognizance of Ramdev’s remarks, UP Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha sent a report to the Election Commission of India with details of the FIR and the complaints filed by the Congress and a Dalit organisation.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“Congressmen and a Dailt organisation too had lodged their complaints… A report containing details of the FIR and these complaints has been sent to the EC for further action,” said Sinha.
Condemning Ramdev’s remarks, BSP chief Mayawati demanded his immediate arrest. Addressing a rally here, she said the UP government and EC should take immediate action against Ramdev.