Amid outrage over his comment that Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi visits Dalits’ homes for “honeymoon and picnic”, the Lucknow police on Saturday registered an FIR against yoga guru Ramdev.
Meanwhile, Ramdev expressed regret to the Dalit community. “The statement I made has been misrepresented. The term honeymoon period is over is commonly used in political language. I tried to use it in that sense… I had no intention to insult Rahul or the Dalit community… I express regret if the use of that term has hurt the feelings of any community, especially Dalit community,” PTI quoted him as saying in Vadodara.
Addressing a programme in Lucknow on Friday, Ramdev had said, “Rahul goes to Dalits’ houses for honeymoon and picnic. Had he married a Dalit girl, then his luck could have clicked and he would have become the prime minister.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The FIR was filed on the complaint of Sub-Inspector S N Pandey. Ramdev has been booked under Section 171(G) of the IPC (false statement in connection with an election). A complaint by the Congress was incorporated in the same FIR. Police officials said more charges may be added after investigations.
Talking cognizance of Ramdev’s remarks, UP Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha sent a report to the Election Commission of India with details of the FIR and the complaints filed by the Congress and a Dalit organisation.
“Congressmen and a Dailt organisation too had lodged their complaints… A report containing details of the FIR and these complaints has been sent to the EC for further action,” said Sinha.
Condemning Ramdev’s remarks, BSP chief Mayawati demanded his immediate arrest. Addressing a rally here, she said the UP government and EC should take immediate action against Ramdev.