As the 20 seats in Kerala prepare for Lok Sabha elections on Thursday, some of the candidates will find some serious competition for their namesakes. With the Congress-led UDF taking on the CPI(M)-led LDF in what is largely a bipolar battle, these namesakes have been propped up to create confusion among unsuspecting voters. Some might might end up voting for the wrong candidate, and these small vote shares could prove crucial in the battles that is characteristic of the poll battles in Kerala.
For instance, in Kasargode, there are two candidates with the same surname: T Siddique from the Congress and an independent candidate called A Siddique. CPI(M)’s P Karunakaran also find a namesake in Independent candidate Karunakaran Kalippurayil.
In neighbouring Kannur, Congress has fielded K Sudhakaran, while there are two others with exactly the same name, both independent candidates.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In Vadakara, CPI(M) candidate Adv A M Shamseer has a namesake A P Shamseer, again an independent candidate.
In Kozhikode, Congress candidate M K Raghavan has as many as three namesakes: M Raghavan, V M Raghavan and Vijayraghavan K, all independents.
In Alathur, there are four candidates with the surname Biju: P K Biju from CPI(M), and independents A Biju, K Biju and R Biju.
In Idduki constituency, there are three Independent candidates with surname Jospeh: James Joseph, Shoby Joseph and Biju Joseph.
In Kollam, M A Baby from CPI(M) and will take on M Baby an Independent, while the other two Independent candidates are called Premachandran.
Alappuzha constituency has two candidates with similar a surname: CPI(M)’s C B Chandrababu and Chandrababu (independent).
In Attingal, there are two independent candidates by the name Suresh and two candidates by the name Anil Kumar.
Thiruvananthapuram, where Congress’ Shashi Tharoor is being challenged by Benet Abraham of the CPI, there is a Benet Babu Benjamin (independent) also in the fray.
It remains to be seen how the ‘namesake’ factor can affect the polling results in the state.