As the nine-phase Lok Sabha elections came to an end on Monday, all eyes are now on May 16 when the results will be announced. The Indian Express travelled across the country during the campaign to report on the largest democratic process in the world. Here we present the top ten reports and opinion pieces.
1. National Interest: Secularism is dead!
This anti-Modi battle cry is lazy, illiberal and an affront to Muslims — and to Hindus, writes Shekhar Gupta.
2. Fifth Column: A dangerous disconnect
If Modi destroys the India created by 67 years of Congress-style secularism and socialism, he will be doing India a real service, writes Tavleen Singh
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
3. In a first, Rahul heckled outside Amethi poll booths
Several young voters waiting outside a poll booth in Amethi shouted, “Har Har Modi”, forcing Rahul to leave.
4. Fifth column: Sonia’s loving message
So fascinated was I by Sonia’s Bharatiyata appeal that I watched it more than once in Hindi and in English and longer I watched, the more I saw a case for slander, says Tavleen Singh
5. Bihar buzz is Nitish did a good job but needs to be punished
The Muslims have stood as one across the country against Modi’s ambition.
6. Why the Sangh fears Modi
The RSS acknowledges Modi’s indispensibility to the BJP’s bid for power. But it is uneasy with his personality cult, writes Manjari Katju
7. Writings On The Wall: Taking the poor out of Poorvanchal
Teaching is the sunrise industry in Uttar Pradesh — a better future its most wanted product. But Mulayam, trapped in a political time warp, doesn’t get this. His promise: I will raise the poverty line (so more of you can call yourself poor!)
8. Modi’s aide Amit Shah says ‘Apmaan ka badla toh lena padega’ in Muzaffarnagar, stirs controversy
Key Modi aide says elections are about ‘protecting izzat’.
9. Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The affidavit, which declares Modi’s annual income as Rs 4,54,095, has no income, PAN number or return details filed for spouse.
10. A diversified Muslim vote, and yearning for change in Poorvanchal
Poorvanchal, voting in the last phase on May 12, is far less polarised on religious lines than western Uttar Pradesh.