As the nine-phase Lok Sabha elections came to an end on Monday, all eyes are now on May 16 when the results will be announced. The Indian Express travelled across the country during the campaign to report on the largest democratic process in the world. Here we present the top ten reports and opinion pieces.
1. National Interest: Secularism is dead!
This anti-Modi battle cry is lazy, illiberal and an affront to Muslims — and to Hindus, writes Shekhar Gupta.
2. Fifth Column: A dangerous disconnect
If Modi destroys the India created by 67 years of Congress-style secularism and socialism, he will be doing India a real service, writes Tavleen Singh
3. In a first, Rahul heckled outside Amethi poll booths
Several young voters waiting outside a poll booth in Amethi shouted, “Har Har Modi”, forcing Rahul to leave.
4. Fifth column: Sonia’s loving message
So fascinated was I by Sonia’s Bharatiyata appeal that I watched it more than once in Hindi and in English and longer I watched, the more I saw a case for slander, says Tavleen Singh
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
5. Bihar buzz is Nitish did a good job but needs to be punished
The Muslims have stood as one across the country against Modi’s ambition.
6. Why the Sangh fears Modi
The RSS acknowledges Modi’s indispensibility to the BJP’s bid for power. But it is uneasy with his personality cult, writes Manjari Katju
7. Writings On The Wall: Taking the poor out of Poorvanchal
Teaching is the sunrise industry in Uttar Pradesh — a better future its most wanted product. But Mulayam, trapped in a political time warp, doesn’t get this. His promise: I will raise the poverty line (so more of you can call yourself poor!)
8. Modi’s aide Amit Shah says ‘Apmaan ka badla toh lena padega’ in Muzaffarnagar, stirs controversy
Key Modi aide says elections are about ‘protecting izzat’.
9. Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The affidavit, which declares Modi’s annual income as Rs 4,54,095, has no income, PAN number or return details filed for spouse.
10. A diversified Muslim vote, and yearning for change in Poorvanchal
Poorvanchal, voting in the last phase on May 12, is far less polarised on religious lines than western Uttar Pradesh.