Get all the latest updates on Lok Sabha elections throughout the day:
8.50 pm: Congress’ city unit chief Narendra Rawat will take on Narendra Modi in Vadodara Lok Sabha constituency but the party is still undecided on a nominee to be fielded against the Bharatiya Janata Party’s prime ministerial candidate in Varanasi.
8.30 pm: Telugu actor Pawan Kalyan, Congress leader K Chiranjeevi’s brother, today met Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and declared support to him for the Prime Minister’s post.
8.00 pm: Continuing his tirade against Narendra Modi, RJD President Lalu Prasad today called him a ‘sinner’ and said he will not be able to “wash his sins” at Varanasi.
7.38 pm: In an apparent dig at the Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi, West Bengal Chief Mnister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said she loved the people of Gujarat, but not ‘NaMo’ and termed the BJP as “communal”.
6.45 pm: Downplaying Shiv Sena’s decision to field candidates in UP and other states, BJP on Friday asserted that the two parties are “inseparable” and any “shortcoming” can be resolved through talks.
6.13 pm: Aam Aadmi Party candidate Ashutosh Srivastava today filed his nomination papers from Chandni Chowk Lok Sabha constituency.
6.02 pm: I am grateful to Rajnath ji to trust me enough to give me this ticket: Colonel Sonaram Choudhary (BJP) on his LS ticket from Barmer.
5.58 pm: Hemlal Murmu, who joined the BJP recently, put in his papers from the membership of Jharkhand Assembly today. “Hemlal Murmu has resigned from Assembly membership,” Speaker Shashank Sekhar Bhokta said.
5.29 pm: MP Shivanand Tiwari today pledged his support to AAP and said he would campaign for AAP candidates in three Lok Sabha seats including Varanasi where Arvind Kejriwal may take on BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Accompanied Dr.Harshvardhan to file his nomination from Chandni Chowk. Confident of winning this seat which BJP won twice when I contested.
— Vijay Goel (@VijayGoelBJP) March 21, 2014
4.42 pm: Congress leader Ajay Maken and BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi today filed their nomination papers from the high-profile New Delhi Lok Sabha constituency.
4.35 pm: Infosys co-founder and Congress candidate Nandan Nilekani today filed his nominations for the Bangalore South Lok Sabha constituency, where he is locked in a tough battle against five-time MP BJP’s Ananth Kumar.
4.28 pm: Congress defector Sonaram to contest from Barmer after the BJP denied veteran party leader Jaswant Singh the opportunity.
03.59 pm: Jaswant Singh denied BJP ticket from Barmer, Rajasthan, Congress defector Sonaram choudhary to contest from there.
03.40 pm: Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi hits out at opposition, says Narendra Modi was an ‘ambassador of development’ and not a ‘symbol of fear’.
03. 30 pm: Seeking to cut bureaucratic red tape, Election Commission orders setting up of ‘single window system’ in all parliamentary seats to provide clearance to political parties to hold rallies during the Lok Sabha polls.
03. 20 pm: Delhi High Court asks Election Commission to give details relating to registration of Aam Aadmi Party with it.
03. 15 pm: BJP spokesman and MP Prakash Javadekar expressed hope that parties opposed to Congress would quickly clinch an electoral understanding.
02. 51 pm: 3 Lok Sabha, 23 Assembly contestants have filed their nomination papers for the April 9 simultaneous polls in Arunachal Pradesh.
02. 48 pm: In spite of strict warning Vijaykumar Gavit is falling pray for allurement of Gopinath Munde, says NCP Maharashtra president Bhaskar Jadhav
02. 47 pm: JD(U) leader NK Singh resigns, likely to join BJP.
02. 47 pm: Congress candidate and sitting MP Sandeep Dikshit filed his nomination papers from East Delhi Lok Sabha constituency.
02. 45 pm: Protests outside Arvind Kejriwal’s house over ticket distribution
02. 35 pm: Shatrughan Sinha files nomination, shown black flags in Patna.
02. 27 pm: BJD chief Naveen Patnaik picked up the sitting MP and almost all sitting MLAs of Cuttack district to contest next month’s twin elections.
02. 25 pm: BJP’s Delhi unit president Harsh Vardhan filed his nomination papers from Chandni Chowk parliamentary constituency, and will take on Union Minister and Congress leader Kapil Sibal.
02. 17 pm: Tripura Chief Electoral Officer: Displaced people of Bru community will be allowed to vote through postal ballots.
02. 15 pm: AAP expels party leaders Aruna Singh, Ashok Kumar over bribery charges.
02. 10: Aam Aadmi Party expels leaders who promised tickets in exchange of money.
02. 05 pm:
— Meenakashi Lekhi (@M_Lekhi) March 21, 2014
02. 00 pm:
Mahila shakti at Dana bunder this morning ! Time to sweep our country clean :) pic.twitter.com/i6d0HSNLEM
— Meera Sanyal (@meerasanyal) March 21, 2014
— Gul Panag (@GulPanag) March 21, 2014
An important Announcement by Arvind Kejriwal will be made at 2:00 PM. Can be watched at http://t.co/hk04vSZ4He
— Aam Aadmi Party (@AamAadmiParty) March 21, 2014
12.50 pm: Shiv Sena has decided to field its candidates for Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Delhi.
12.25 pm: Goa BJP has said it would remind people that the best way to say no to drugs is by not voting for rival candidate.
12.09: BJP Sangeet Som, accused of instigating Muzaffarnagar riots, denied ticket
12.05 pm: Kirron Kher files nomination on BJP ticket
12.02 pm: EC orders to defer the shoot of the Gujarat tourism ad film by megastar Amitabh Bachchan until the poll-process is over in the state.
11.45: Infighting broke out within the Chhattisgarh Congress over the distribution of tickets for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
11.32: BJP mocks Congress, says it has no will to fight elections, has conceded defeat.
11.7 am: Crime Branch of Varanasi police launched a probe into a case involving the sharing of hate photographs of Gujarat riots allegedly by a Samajwadi Party corporator.
10.39 am: Former Home Minister Buta Singh to contest LS polls from Jalore seat in Rajasthan on SP ticket.
10. 27 am: A case of violation of Model Code of Conduct registered against the Rashtriya Lok Dal candidate for Kairana constituency, Kartar Singh Bhadana, and two others.