AAP leader Somnath Bharti and his supporters were allegedly assaulted by “Modi supporters” at Assi Ghat in Bhelupur area of Varanasi on Wednesday. Bharti, who was the law minister when the AAP was in power in New Delhi, did not lodge a police complaint and said he had forgiven the attackers.
According to the police, the incident took place when Bharti was taking part in a TV programme being recorded at Assi Ghat. “Bharti was a guest on the show. There was no permission for the programme. There was some sloganeering, which led to a scuffle between BJP supporters and AAP supporters. Bharti’s vehicle was damaged in the stone pelting. However, nobody was seriously hurt. Bharti has not pressed any formal charges. But since the programme was being conducted without permission, an FIR in this regard is being lodged for alleged violation of Section 144 of the CrPC,” Station Officer (Bhelupur) Vinay Kumar Singh said.
In a statement, the AAP claimed that one of its supporters shouted the slogan, “Abhi toh Sheila haari hai, ab Modi ki baari hai (Sheila has lost, now it’s Modi’s turn)”, during the TV programme. Enraged by this, Modi supporters attacked AAP supporters, the statement said.
When Bharti tried to intervene, he too was allegedly attacked. When he managed to get inside his vehicle, stones were pelted at it, an AAP spokesperson said. The driver then drove to the police station.
AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal said it appeared the attackers were from outside Varanasi because this was not the city’s culture.
BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said the party has never endorsed violence.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More