Under fire for having allegedly violated rules by entering polling booths and inspecting EVMs while voting was on in Amethi on May 7, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi Saturday got a breather after the Election Commission gave him a clean chit, saying he had “visited polling station at 10.15 am, when the machine was not working and no poll was taking place”.
On Friday, the EC had asked two senior IAS officers from the UP Chief Electoral Office to inquire into the allegations of Rahul having violated the secrecy of ballot.
In their report to the EC headquarters, Additional Chief Electoral Officers Alok Tiwari and K Vijayendra Pandian stated, “It seems that Mr Gandhi actually inspected the old, defective EVM in the voting compartment and had left before the polling began with new EVM.”
As per the report, the person seen along with Rahul in the photograph was the son of Congress polling agent Ashok Kumar Shukla. Shukla told the EC officials his son “was the reliever for him” and he himself was at quite some distance from the polling station when Rahul visited it. The report also states that polling agents of AAP and BSP stated that actual polling began around 10.30 am after Rahul had left.
The report said that “based on statements given, it is possible to infer that neither Mr Gandhi sought permission to inspect the voting compartment nor was he stopped by anyone from doing so”. “Since Mr Gandhi left the PS before the polling began, he did not violate the secrecy of ballot and also did not hinder the polling process in any way,” it concluded.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet