Taking cognizance of their alleged controversial remarks against Narendra Modi and Azam Khan respectively in election speeches, the Election Commission on Thursday issued show cause notice to Union minister Beni Prasad Verma and BJP leader Vinay Katiyar for prima facie violating the Model Code of Conduct.
They have been asked to put forth their stands on the charges by Saturday morning failing which the EC will take action without further referring the matter to them.
The show cause notices were issued following complaints and reports by poll authorities in Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission has already expressed “displeasure” at Verma’s “biggest goon” remark against Modi. Referring to Katiyar’s speech made in Sant Kabir Nagar in UP on April 15, the EC notice quoted him as saying that the Muzaffarnagar riots were bigger than Gujarat riots.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He had reportedly said that “no attempt” was made by the UP government to check the riots and senior SP leader and UP minister Azam Khan was given a “free hand” to issue directions to administration officials.
Katiyar had said once Modi becomes the Prime Minister, riots will be probed and it will be “ensured” that Khan is sent to jail as he had “planned” the violence last year in west UP.
Addressing a public meeting in Kanpur on April 20, Verma had reportedly said that once Rahul Gandhi becomes the Prime Minister, Modi and his close aide Amit shah will be “jailed for life” for Godhra riots.
He had also reportedly said that as a 20-year-old, Modi had committed a “major crime” and had fled him home. He had said the BJP’s PM nominee will never reach the PM’s post and go to “graveyard”.
The two have also been provided with copies of CDs carrying their remarks.