Taking cognizance of their alleged controversial remarks against Narendra Modi and Azam Khan respectively in election speeches, the Election Commission on Thursday issued show cause notice to Union minister Beni Prasad Verma and BJP leader Vinay Katiyar for prima facie violating the Model Code of Conduct.
They have been asked to put forth their stands on the charges by Saturday morning failing which the EC will take action without further referring the matter to them.
The show cause notices were issued following complaints and reports by poll authorities in Uttar Pradesh.
The Commission has already expressed “displeasure” at Verma’s “biggest goon” remark against Modi. Referring to Katiyar’s speech made in Sant Kabir Nagar in UP on April 15, the EC notice quoted him as saying that the Muzaffarnagar riots were bigger than Gujarat riots.
He had reportedly said that “no attempt” was made by the UP government to check the riots and senior SP leader and UP minister Azam Khan was given a “free hand” to issue directions to administration officials.
Katiyar had said once Modi becomes the Prime Minister, riots will be probed and it will be “ensured” that Khan is sent to jail as he had “planned” the violence last year in west UP.
Addressing a public meeting in Kanpur on April 20, Verma had reportedly said that once Rahul Gandhi becomes the Prime Minister, Modi and his close aide Amit shah will be “jailed for life” for Godhra riots.
He had also reportedly said that as a 20-year-old, Modi had committed a “major crime” and had fled him home. He had said the BJP’s PM nominee will never reach the PM’s post and go to “graveyard”.
The two have also been provided with copies of CDs carrying their remarks.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review