The Election Commission on Tuesday asked Punjab Chief Minister to be “careful in future” while letting him off the hook for his remarks that while crores of rupees are spent on elections, only little is disclosed and that people should not give funds “openly”.
“The Commission has considered the…reply carefully and has not found it satisfactory and is of the view that Parkash Singh Badal has violated the…provision of Model Code of Conduct. Now, therefore, the Commission hereby advises him to be careful in future,” the EC said.
Acting on a complaint of a Punjab Congress leader, the EC had issued a show cause notice to Badal.
The panel referred to his April 12 speech in Jalandhar in which he reportedly said that “crores are spent on campaigning, though we show less in expenditure details….Give quietly, don’t give openly”.
The Commission reminded Badal of Section 77 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 which prescribes that every candidate at an election shall, either by himself or by his election agent, keep a separate and correct account of all expenditure in connection with the election incurred or authorised by him.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
It also said the provision of the Model Code of Conduct is clear that “all parties and candidates shall avoid scrupulously all activities which are corrupt practices and offences under the election law….”