Ahead of BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi’s rallies in Himachal Pradesh, yoga guru Baba Ramdev was forced to cancel his yoga shivir in Kangra town on Monday after the Election Commission imposed a ban on his camps in the state.
A petition filed in the Himachal Pradesh High Court seeking its intervention to hold the camps failed to provide any relief to Ramdev after the Division Bench quashed the plea on Monday saying the matter does not warrant the court’s intervention.
Earlier in the day, Kangra Deputy Commissioner C Pualrasu, also the Returning Officer, withdrew permission granted to Ramdev for holding the yoga shivir, citing the EC’s latest guidelines. Police were also directed to remain alert in case Ramdev tries to defy the EC’s order. Beside Kangra, Ramdev’s Patanjali Yoga Peeth was set to hold yoga shivirs in Chamba and Rehan.
“The organisers were told that the EC’s guidelines were very clear and no such (politically) surrogate function could be allowed. The permission granted by the administration has been withdrawn. The EC’s circular has been forwarded to all Deputy Commissioners and SPs, advising them not to allow such camps and functions, which also covers community feasts during the poll season,” said Chief Electoral Officer (Himachal Pradesh) Narinder Chauhan.
Officials said the EC had taken note of reports that “political activities” were being carried out through non-political outfits to help certain candidates and had issued instruction to all the Chief Electoral Officers on April 18.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Ramdev, who reached Kangra on Monday and was received by senior BJP leader Shanta Kumar at the airport, slammed the EC and alleged that his events were cancelled on the behest of Congress. “My shivirs are non-political. I don’t talk politics in the camps but when I speak on politics, I hold a separate press conference. It is clear that the administration has taken the decision on the orders of political masters and the Congress,” he alleged.
He also accused the Congress of “distorting” his “honeymoon” remarks.