A Delhi court Friday summoned Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani in a criminal defamation case filed against her by Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam. Irani will appear in court on September 27, based on a complaint filed by Nirupam in July 2013. Nirupam had alleged that in December 2012, when the Gujarat Assembly results were announced, Irani made defamatory and scurrilous remarks against him during a television debate.
The complaint says, “The accused (Irani), a Member of Parliament of the BJP, defamed the complainant (Nirupam) by making direct aspersions on the character of the complainant.” It goes on to say that Nirupam’s “reputation of excellence and integrity has been dented due to the scurrilous, defamatory and derogatory comments made by accused during the said debate”.
Nirupam’s counsel argued that a legal notice had been sent to Irani on July 25 last year asking her to tender an “unconditional public apology”, but she had not replied.
Irani, too, had filed a defamation case against Nirupam for allegedly defaming her during the same TV debate.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls