With an overarching role cutting across all economic ministries, Arun Jaitley took charge as the new Finance Minister on Tuesday with a promise to contain inflation, promote growth and curb fiscal deficit. He said specific steps on each of these would be spelt out as part of the government’s policy in the next few days. “You will have to wait a few days for it,” he said.
“I am taking over at a very challenging time, particularly when there is a need to rebuild the Indian economy. The challenges are very obvious. We have to restore the pace of growth, contain inflation, and obviously concentrate on fiscal consolidation itself,” Jaitley said in a statement to the media after reaching his North Block office.
Besides Finance, Jaitley is also in charge of Corporate Affairs. Significantly, Nirmala Sitharaman, the Minister of State (independent charge) for Commerce and Industry, is also the MoS for Finance, so Jaitley is expected to work in close coordination with those departments too. Jaitley’s immediate priority would be the passage of the Union Budget for FY ‘15 by early July. Jaitley also promised that the NDA government would expedite the decision-making process over the next two months.
“The mandate which our government has received has an inbuilt hope in it, and I am sure the political change itself sends a strong signal to the global community as also the domestic investors,” he said. He said the government’s policy would balance inflation concerns with growth promotion.
Jaitley received a steady stream of visitors through the day, including Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan. “We discussed a range of issues. Curbing inflation is absolutely a task that the government and the RBI are engaged with,” said Rajan after his nearly one-hour-long meeting.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In the morning, Jaitley met the secretaries in the finance ministry led by Finance Secretary Arvind Mayaram. Later in the day, the departments gave a detailed powerpoint presentation on the key issues before the new government. The exercise is expected to continue on Wednesday.