German Bakery blast convict Himayat Baig will file his nomination as a Lok Sabha candidate from Aurangabad constituency from a debutant pro-Dalit and pro-minority party.
The Bahujan Mukti Party (BMP) — a political offshoot of the BAMCEF (All India Backward (SC, ST, OBC) And Minority Communities Employees’ Federation) — has decided to field Baig as a “symbol of police injustice on innocent Muslim youth”.
Baig’s lawyer said while they are expecting to face legal hurdles in the light of the recent Supreme Court directives, they will move the court for a “special exception” as “it has become clear that Baig was framed by the state police”.
Baig, a resident of Beed in Maharashtra, was convicted by a sessions court in April 2013 for conspiring and carrying out the bombing of German Bakery along with Indian Mujahideen operative Yasin Bhatkal. However, Bhatkal’s arrest in August 2013 and his statement before the NIA has put a question mark on the involvement of Baig.
Bhatkal has reportedly said the bombing was carried out by him and another IM operative Qateel Siddiqui and that he was not accompanied by Baig as claimed by ATS. The two chargesheets filed by NIA in various cases against IM do not mention Baig.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
V L Matang, national president of the BMP, told The Indian Express that the decision was taken by the party to field Baig with an aim to rid the community of the fear of being framed in terror cases and added, “His lawyer Paracha has promised us that he will take care of the legal hurdle.”
Paracha said the nomination will be filed on March 29 from Aurangabad constituency and if the Election Commission rejects the application due to Baig’s conviction, they will move the SC. When contacted, Baig’s family in Beed said they were not aware of any such development.