- Aam Aadmi Party violated Model Code: Election Commission
- 50 pc cut in power tariff, free wifi, water among AAP promises
- BJP issuing ads in violation of model code of conduct: Congress
- ‘Right now, it’s gaali-galoch ka politics; I say CCTV cameras, they call me a bandar’, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Upadhyay to cadre: Accept Bedi for Modi
- 230 crorepatis, 114 with criminal cases in fray: ADR
- Shah sells Modi dreams, says once here, we stay
Dalits protest against Ramdev, demand EC ban
Scores of Dalits on Saturday staged demonstrations on National Highway 1 demanding the Election Commission to ban Yoga guru Ramdev from campaigning for BJP over his alleged anti-Dalit remarks.
Ramdev had triggered yet another controversy in Lucknow on Friday claiming that “Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi goes to Dalits house for honeymoon and picnic”.
The protesters belonging to Bahujan Samaj Party, Guru Ravi Das Force, Balmiki Dharam Samaj and various Ambedkar Senas held demonstrations and raised slogans against the yoga guru.
Three effigies of Ramdev were also burnt as demonstrators blocked traffic on the national highway. The protesters have urged the EC to take cognisance of Ramdev’s “highly objectionable” remarks and demanded a ban on his election campaign and roadshows for BJP. They also submitted an application to the local police demanding registration of a criminal case against him under relevant sections of SC/ST Act and section 295-A of the IPC.
BSP state General Secretary Jarnail Nangal, Dalit ideologue Advocate S L Virdi, Sena leaders Harbhajan Suman and Surinder Dhanda, Balmiki leaders Satish Salhotra and Pawan Sethi were among the protesters.
Congress party workers led by local president Gurjit Walia also joined the protest.