The Congress seems to have played it safe in its first list of candidates for 194 Lok Sabha seats, with party president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi sticking to their pocket boroughs of Rae Bareli and Amethi respectively.
The list includes UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani (Bangalore South), cricketer Mohammad Kaif (Phulpur), Bhojpuri actor Ravi Kishan (Jaunpur in UP) and former PM A B Vajpayee’s niece Karuna Shukla (Bilaspur).
Union ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde, Salman Khurshid, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia, R P N Singh, Charandas Mahant, Mallikarjun Kharge, Milind Deora, Preneet Kaur, Girija Vyas and Jitendra Singh have retained their constituencies. Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has also retained her Sasaram seat. The list includes over 60 sitting MPs.
Maharashtra unit chief Gurudas Kamat will contest from Mumbai Northwest and Priya Dutt from Mumbai North Central. Rahul’s aide Meenakshi Natarajan, who won the primaries, is being fielded from Mandsaur, while former Kerala Governor Nikhil Kumar will contest from Aurangabad, Bihar. Other prominent names include President Pranab Mukherjee’s son Abhijeet Mukherjee and Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary.
Click here for the full list of candidates
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest