The Congress seems to have played it safe in its first list of candidates for 194 Lok Sabha seats, with party president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi sticking to their pocket boroughs of Rae Bareli and Amethi respectively.
The list includes UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani (Bangalore South), cricketer Mohammad Kaif (Phulpur), Bhojpuri actor Ravi Kishan (Jaunpur in UP) and former PM A B Vajpayee’s niece Karuna Shukla (Bilaspur).
Union ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde, Salman Khurshid, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia, R P N Singh, Charandas Mahant, Mallikarjun Kharge, Milind Deora, Preneet Kaur, Girija Vyas and Jitendra Singh have retained their constituencies. Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has also retained her Sasaram seat. The list includes over 60 sitting MPs.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Maharashtra unit chief Gurudas Kamat will contest from Mumbai Northwest and Priya Dutt from Mumbai North Central. Rahul’s aide Meenakshi Natarajan, who won the primaries, is being fielded from Mandsaur, while former Kerala Governor Nikhil Kumar will contest from Aurangabad, Bihar. Other prominent names include President Pranab Mukherjee’s son Abhijeet Mukherjee and Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary.
Click here for the full list of candidates