The Congress has swept rural body elections within the Lai Autonomous District Council (LADC) in southern Mizoram by winning 287 seats and forming a majority in 57 out of 93 Village Councils. Some of the regional parties were meanwhile decimated in the polls with neither the Mizoram People’s Conference nor the Zoram Nationalist Party winning any seat.
Even the best performing regional party, the Mizo National Front, won only 42 seats and has been able to form a majority in only 6 Village Councils.
The MNF’s tally is however worse than even independent candidates’, who cornered 116 seats to form a majority in 20 Village Councils.
The LADC, formed under the sixth schedule of the Indian Constitution, is home to the Lai tribe. The rural body polls were the first in Mizoram’s history to reserve one seat each in every Village Council for female candidates.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More