Congress on Saturday launched an all out attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi accusing him of “misleading” people on the WTO issue and ridiculed BJP over its “Congress phobia”.
“The statements that Modi has made are confirming the worst apprehensions of a partisan political agenda to mislead and misinform the public opinion. His claims that the UPA government had given up on the rights of food security in WTO is astonishing and utterly false,” former Commerce Minister Anand Sharma told PTI.
At the BJP National Council meet, Modi hit out at the Congress led UPA government regime, saying “those who sought votes in the name of food security, signed the agreement (sacrificing the interest of poor people)”.
Sharma had signed the agreement at Bali last year which among other things had agreed for signing the TFA by July 31, 2014.
The agreement also has a peace clause under which India’s public stock-holding, necessary for its food security programme, will not be questioned for four years ending 2017 even if it breached the 10 per cent WTO ceiling on food subsidy.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Attacking Modi on the issue, Sharma said,” the Prime Minister of India is expected to be well-informed and literate about the position taken by India in multinational forums and the WTO. The Prime Minister has either been misinformed or has chosen to make a statement, which is factually incorrect and false deliberately.”
He further said, “It is embarrassing that the Prime Minister is confusing the right of public stock holding issue with sovereign right of food security. Food security is a sovereign right and a sovereign space and has never been a part of WTO agenda.”
At the BJP’s National Council meet here on Saturday the 10-year Congress-led UPA rule came under sharp attack.
AICC general secretary Ajay Maken tore into the ruling BJP for what he called its “obsession” with Congress.
“I heard the Speakers at the BJP’s National Council. One after another their speeches spoke of Congress and nothing else. They appear to have been afflicted by severe Congress Phobia or are obsessed by the Congress.”
“Their fear of the Congress is such that they seem to have forgotten that they are now the ruling party and not the opposition,” Maken said.