Left embarrassed by articles in a party organ criticising Jawaharlal Nehru’s policies on Kashmir and China and calling Sonia Gandhi’s father a ‘fascist soldier’, Congress has issued a showcause notice to the magazine’s editor and Mumbai party chief Sanjay Nirupam.
The powerful Disciplinary Action Committee of AICC headed by A K Antony issued the notice to Nirupam, a former Lok Sabha member from Mumbai and one of the party’s important faces from the Hindi heartland in Maharashtra, about two days back.
Nirupam, a former Shiv Sena man, has been given “a few days” to respond.
The party was left red faced on December 28, the day Congress was celebrating its 131st foundation day, when
unsigned articles appeared in its mouthpiece blaming Nehru for “the state of affairs in Kashmir, China and Tibet”.
- Magazine row: Congress accepts Nirupam apology
- Nirupam likely to get clean chit from AICC
- Rahul Gandhi warns Mumbai Congress: Stop bickering
- Mumbai Congress divided over Rahul’s itinerary
- Warring camps lobby against one another in Delhi, Rahul Gandhi to visit Mumbai on Jan 15
- Congress mouthpiece calls Sonia Gandhi's father 'fascist', slams Nehru; editor sacked
Another write-up in ‘Congress Darshan’ said party president Sonia Gandhi’s father Stephano Maino was a former
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The showcause notice comes despite an apology from Nirupam and Congress already having distanced itself from its “defunct” mouthpiece. Sudhir Joshi, the editorial content incharge of the magazine, was sacked soon after the articles became public.
Congress had also said earlier that the party had appointed Nirupam as MRCC chief and not editor of any magazine.
Recently, some Mumbai Congress leaders, including AICC General Secretary Gurudas Kamat, had met Sonia and complained about the matter.
The showcause notice to Nirupam has been issued just days ahead of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi’s proposed visit to Mumbai on January 15 and 16. Rahul, who was back from his Europe trip on Sunday, is scheduled to hold meetings with senior party leaders including those of the Mumbai Regional Congress Committee during his two-day visit.
(with PTI inputs)