- The Big Picture: What’s AAP
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Bus from Burari laden with volunteers and hope
- Rare day out for AAP families
- Riot of support for AAP in communal hot spots
- Hunt on for CM house, will not accept Z-plus security
- No word from high command, Delhi Congress in a paralysis
- Latest News
- Second time at Ramlila Maidan: Hope overrides their doubts
- Kejriwal has no portfolio, will keep an eye on others
- In sea of white caps, BJP troika plans to be ‘forceful opposition’
- MP, MLA see Punjab as the next AAP stop
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Arvind Kejriwal repeats his advice to sting the corrupt, asks police to act against ‘goondagardi’
- Proud that one of our volunteers has become Delhi CM: Anna Hazare
- Arvind Kejriwal not to keep any portfolio
- Now an Aam Aadmi Party Cola by beverage-maker inspired by Arvind Kejriwal’s party
- New chief minister Arvind Kejriwal holds meetings at Delhi Secretariat
- Cong’s Ajay Maken blames Sheila Dikshit for Delhi polls debacle
- Left, right, AAP
Congress rivals mock Narendra Modi’s martial status in Gujarat’s LS poll campaign
Virji Thummar addressing a gathering of villagers at Devgam village. (IE)
The Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s marital status is the prime focus for Congress leaders campaigning in Gujarat’s predominantly rural constituency of Amreli, that also holds the dubious record for the lowest female voter turn-out in 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Congress leaders including ex-MP and party aspirant for the upcoming elections, Virji Thummar described Modi as a cheat who hid the identity of his wife during the four times he filed his affidavit while contesting elections in Gujarat.
“BJP has been in power in Gujarat for the last 10-15 years. During this period, the party’s PM aspirant had filed affidavit four times while fighting elections in the state. Though we repeatedly questioned him, he had maintained silence about his marriage. In the affidavit filed for the Lok Sabha elections, Modi says Jashodaben is his wife. So he possibly lied to the people,” said Thummar raking up the martial status of Modi while campaigning in Devgam village about 30 kilometers from Amreli on Sunday.
“In the 2012 elections, Modi in his affidavit had left the space blank. So if he married Jasodaben in the last 14 months, the people of the state wishes to know the date on which he got married,” Thummar said mocking the saffron party’s candidate while addressing a group of about 75-odd villagers in the village.
“How can you hand over the reins of the country to a person who cannot be truthful about the details of his own wife,” said the Congress leader who was elected as the Congress MP from Amreli in 2004. In 2009, Congress gave the party ticket to his wife Nilaben Thummar after a forgery complaint was lodged against him. She, however lost of BJP candidate Naranbhai Khachhadiya.
Later Thummar, accompanied by local Congress MLA Paresh Dhanani walked down the village lanes shaking hands and meeting people. He also had a cup of tea from a house in the village and attended a local event organised by the Bharwad community.
Establishing himself as a “family man”, the leader also took time out from his busy campaign schedule and visited his family in nearby Vavdi village.
The Congress candidate addressed group meetings of farmers in several villages including Lunidhar and Nani Kukavav. Everywhere his focus was largely on Modi’s martial status. “If a common man had given wrong information in an affidavit, a criminal offense would have been registered by now,” said Thummar while addressing villagers in Nani Kukavav village.
Stressing on the importance of the document filed with the Election Commission, he told the gathering of village leaders and youngsters, “An affidavit is an oath that we take. It is like we have sworn in the name of Ram. Don’t you think, Modi has lied in the name of Ram when he did not disclose the details of his wife.”
“At least, Jashodaben is happy that Modi has at least acknowledged her to be be his wife. She is now content and has gone on …continued »