If Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and Lal Bahadur Shastri are the Congressmen who Narendra Modi has used during his campaign for Lok Sabha elections, Atal Bihari Vajpayee is the face from the BJP that the Congress party has used to attack the Opposition’s PM candidate.
On its website, the Congress party has posted an article referring to the concerns raised by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee during the 2002 Gujarat riots. The writeup on the Congress website talks about Vajpayee’s belief that the BJP would lose its credibility if action was not taken against Modi.
It also mentions a statement by Vajpayee: “Some people wanted to remove him. I was of the same opinion.”
The writeup further says that Jaswant Singh, who was recently expelled from the BJP, had also confirmed the concerns of Vajpayee over Modi’s failure to prevent the Gujarat riots.
It further says, “The fundamental cause of Shri Vajpayee’s pain was that Shri Modi didn’t perform his Rajdharma. He did not fulfil his fundamental duty as the chief minister: protecting the lives of the people of Gujarat. Towards the last ebb of the Gujarat riots, Shri Vajpayee urged Shri Modi to “observe Rajdharma and not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed or religion”. It is evident that Shri Vajpayee believed that the Gujarat CM had been not only inept but downright partisan in his handling of the riots.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
In the end of the writeup, the Congress has questioned how people can trust someone who “failed to protect his citizens” to become the Prime Minister of the country. It also points that Vajpayee’s niece Karuna Shukla was also forced to quit the party and join the Congress, and even Jaswant Singh, a close aide of Vajpayee, was moved out of the party.
The writeup has also attacked BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, terming him as an adversary of Vajpayee, even accusing him of “masterminding the downfall of the Vajpayee government”.
This writeup has been posted by the Congress party days after an old video of a press conference by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, with Modi by his side, went viral on social media. In the video, Vajpayee is seen advising the Gujarat Chief Minister to follow “Raj dharma”, and Modi intervenes at the end of the statement, claiming he is doing the same.
Here’s the video of the press conference: