Strange as it may sound, but sitting Congress MP from Inner Manipur parliamentary constituency Thokchom Meinya grew older by 11 years in the past five years.
According to the affidavit filed by him with the Election Commission (EC) for the upcoming polls on April 17, Meinya, who is seeking a third consecutive term as MP from the seat, declared his age to be 69 years.
Interestingly, in his declaration to the EC for the 2009 general elections, he had submitted his age to be 58 years, which means the Congress leader has grown older by 11 years between 2009 and 2014.
A resident of Joypurkhul Khumbong in Imphal West District, Meinya’s date of birth, however, is listed as October 12, 1945, on Lok Sabha website’s member profile.
When contacted, Meinya said “My date of birth is what is there in the Lok Sabha records. There was a clerical error while enlisting for the 2009 electoral rolls on the basis of which the nomination was filed then.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to his affidavit, Meinya’s assets have also increased manifold between 2009 and 2014.
This year, the gross value of his movable assets stood at Rs 15.3 lakh, including bank deposits although he no longer owns any vehicle as against in 2009, when the value of his movable assets were at Rs 3.7 lakh, besides a Bajaj Super scooter and a Maruti Suzuki Baleno car he once owned.
Meinya’s immovable assets, including agricultural and non-agricultural land and residence have a market value of Rs 14.1 lakh, according to his 2014 disclosures.
In 2009, his immovable assets had a total value of Rs 7.7 lakh.
A doctorate from Osmania University, Meinya is up against seven candidates, including BJP’s R K Rajan Singh, Sarangthem Manaobi of Trinamool Congress and Moirangthem Nara of CPI.