Senior Uttarakhand Congress leader and Pauri MP Satpal Maharaj crossed over to the BJP on Friday, pushing the state government of Chief Minister Harish Rawat towards instability.
At least three of the Congress’s 33 MLAs in the 70-member house are Satpal loyalists, including his wife Amrita Rawat, who is a minister in the state government. One independent MLA supporting the government is also in the Satpal camp.
The MP has been bitterly critical of Chief Minister Harish Rawat. He has reportedly been the most annoyed by the chief minister’s refusal to give the horticulture portfolio to his wife. Amrita Rawat had horticulture in the government of Vijay Bahuguna, who was chief minister before Rawat took over last month.
The Uttarakhand BJP is happy to have Satpal Maharaj as a significant Thakur leader which it has been missing, especially in the Garhwal region.
“The BJP lacked a prominent Thakur face in Garhwal to counter CM Rawat’s influence among Thakur voters who have considerable presence across the state. Although Rawat is from Kumaon, he is in a position to strengthen his grip over Thakur votes in Garhwal following his elevation as CM,” a BJP leader said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Pauri, which Satpal represents, faced the brunt of last summer’s natural disaster, and the Congress is believed to be facing major anti-incumbency at the seat. Satpal had announced he would not contest the Lok Sabha election before he joined the BJP. The BJP has already decided to field former chief minister B C Khanduri at the seat.