Seeking to strike an emotional chord with the people of Telangana, Narendra Modi on Tuesday slammed the Congress for “killing Telugu spirit” in the process of carving out a separate state.
BJP’s Prime Ministerial nominee also sharply criticised the ruling party for “erasing” the legacy of former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao.
Addressing a public meeting here, Modi said, “Congress went about the way of creating Telangana state like a doctor who facilitated birth of a child, but killing its mother,” by which he said he meant Telugu spirit, language, culture and tradition.
“Giving birth to a child is a matter of joy, but the child can’t be raised by killing the mother,” the Gujarat Chief Minister said.
Attacking the Congress and TRS for taking credit for the formation of the state, without naming them, he said they are telling lies. “It was BJP’s decision to create Telangana. We have never made it a secret.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“Telangana statehood demand was conceded following the sacrifice of the people,” Modi said adding a wrong vote in the coming elections amounts to discarding the sacrifice of 1,100 people who killed themselves for the cause of the state, and rubbing salt into the wounds of their mothers.
“I have come here to take responsibility for the future of Telangana,” he said, appealing to the people to support the BJP. He said the new state needs special care and nursing.
Modi said more than three lakh people from Telangana are staying in Surat in Gujarat, his home State. “I have the experience of taking care of Telangana people. Vote for BJP both at the Centre and state and you can have ‘laddus’ in both your hands,” he said.
Modi alleged that the Congress has “animosity” towards Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, and recalled how the then Congress General Secretary Rajiv Gandhi had allegedly insulted Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister T Anjaiah at Hyderabad airport.
Praising Narasimha Rao, he said the country believes his tenure as Prime Minister was a good one. “But the Gandhi family erased his legacy as it has great animosity towards Andhra Pradesh. Even today, all these years after his death, they don’t even offer floral tributes to him on birth and death anniversaries.”
The Congress was in power for ten years now and there have been hundreds of projects and there’s no mention of Rao’s legacy, Modi said.