Seeking to strike an emotional chord with the people of Telangana, Narendra Modi on Tuesday slammed the Congress for “killing Telugu spirit” in the process of carving out a separate state.
BJP’s Prime Ministerial nominee also sharply criticised the ruling party for “erasing” the legacy of former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao.
Addressing a public meeting here, Modi said, “Congress went about the way of creating Telangana state like a doctor who facilitated birth of a child, but killing its mother,” by which he said he meant Telugu spirit, language, culture and tradition.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“Giving birth to a child is a matter of joy, but the child can’t be raised by killing the mother,” the Gujarat Chief Minister said.
Attacking the Congress and TRS for taking credit for the formation of the state, without naming them, he said they are telling lies. “It was BJP’s decision to create Telangana. We have never made it a secret.”
“Telangana statehood demand was conceded following the sacrifice of the people,” Modi said adding a wrong vote in the coming elections amounts to discarding the sacrifice of 1,100 people who killed themselves for the cause of the state, and rubbing salt into the wounds of their mothers.
“I have come here to take responsibility for the future of Telangana,” he said, appealing to the people to support the BJP. He said the new state needs special care and nursing.
Modi said more than three lakh people from Telangana are staying in Surat in Gujarat, his home State. “I have the experience of taking care of Telangana people. Vote for BJP both at the Centre and state and you can have ‘laddus’ in both your hands,” he said.
Modi alleged that the Congress has “animosity” towards Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, and recalled how the then Congress General Secretary Rajiv Gandhi had allegedly insulted Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister T Anjaiah at Hyderabad airport.
Praising Narasimha Rao, he said the country believes his tenure as Prime Minister was a good one. “But the Gandhi family erased his legacy as it has great animosity towards Andhra Pradesh. Even today, all these years after his death, they don’t even offer floral tributes to him on birth and death anniversaries.”
The Congress was in power for ten years now and there have been hundreds of projects and there’s no mention of Rao’s legacy, Modi said.