IT professional-turned-AAP leader Adarsh Shastri today lamented that Congress has “strayed” from the path of simplicity and probity as exemplified by his grandfather and former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
“I joined AAP, giving up a lucrative career in an MNC, as I came across it as the only party practising what Shastriji professed. He has been my idol.
“But unfortunately, Congress with which he remained associated all through his life seems to have lost all respect for values like simplicity and probity in public life which the late Premier epitomised,” Shastri, who is AAP candidate from Allahabad, said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
To a query about his father Anil Shastri’s continuance in Congress, he said, “He must be having his own reasons to do so. In fact, after I decided to join AAP, he did bring up the issue of our family’s old loyalty towards Congress and I then asked him where is the Congress of Shastriji today?
“I have immense respect for my father who, like Shastriji, believes in simplicity and probity. And I need to say nothing more than had the Congress not abandoned its old values, my father would not been sidelined in the party,” Shastri said.
He was also critical of Congress having fielded a person with BJP background and “tainted image” against Narendra Modi in Varanasi with just an eye on vote bank politics. Congress has fielded local MLA Ajay Rai in Varanasi.